The real estate industry in Australia is governed by the following legislation, housed at the AUSTLII database. To view the database, click here.
The REIA provides has developed a series of guidelines and information sheets for a more in-depth understanding of the legislation that affects the real estate sector. To view this information, use the navigation tool on the left of this page to select the legislation you would like to know more about.
For more information on Commonwealth legislation, click the relevant link below. It should be noted that the following listrepresents current major legislation, but is not exhaustive.
- Financial Services Reform Act
- Census and Statistics Act 1905
- Copyright Act 1968
- Corporations Act 2001
- Family Law Act 1975
- Freedom of Information Act 1982
- Fringe Benefits Tax Act 1986
- Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986
- Managed Investments Act 1998
- Native Title Act 1993
- Privacy Act 1988
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984
For state or territory legislation, click the relevant link below:
- Australian Capital Territory - Agents Act 2003(ACT)
- New South Wales - Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 (NSW)
- Queensland - Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act 2000 (QLD)
- Northern Territory - Agents Licensing Act (NT)
- Western Australia - Real Estate and Business Agents Act 1978 (WA)
- South Australia - Land Agents Act 1994 (SA)
- Victoria - Estate Agents Act 1980 (VIC)
- Tasmania -Property Agents & Land Transactions Act 2005 (TAS)